Sunday, August 29, 2010

How Children Learn - Reccomended Book to all

John Holt's book "How Children Learn" has been a great help to me lately. I am finding out information about how every child learns, fails, is set up for failure, and processes I did not know existed. I have been seeing behavior changes in my daughter when it came to learning and reading in particular but until I read about things from his book was I brought to light on why and what she was doing and reacting to. I also am learning how to change things and set things up in a way that will benefit her learning and in the process also becoming more relaxed about any kind of time line in her ability to read a certain level by a certain age an so forth. It is helping to point out that kids will learn things when they are interested and ready to know much easier than if they are drilled and forced to learn them before hand. It truly has changed my way of homeschooling already and I have not even completed a 1/2 of year of schooling. I can not wait to make the changes and see if they help and benefit her. I will keep you updated but in the mean time you should read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment