Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Homeschooling Journal Entry 1 : 8-17-10

One of the many books I read lately had excerpts of the mom's (teacher's) daily journal pages from when she did her homeschooling with her kids. I loved the idea. It had been so long since I last journal-ed anything, I used to write everyday. Not to mention the possibilities to look back and reflect down the road on what you wrote, enjoy the memories, view the progress, and just laugh really intrigued me. So adding yet another duty into my daily routine... Home-Journalism Beware it is going to be random quick thoughts as they pop into my head, I jot them down, hopefully they will make sense to others.

Yesterday was my husband and my 7th Wedding Anniversary. Figured out new ways to gt Livi to look at reading as being fun and instilling that passion of books in her. We just started Charlotte's Web, 10 to 20 pages a day. We are listening to Amber Brown books on Cd whenever we are in the car and 20 minutes before nap time to settle down. Need to call Aunt Yvette on advice about introducing the concept of actually doing homeschooling to Livi since right now it is just a general part of her day, and I fear that if I get more structured she will resist since I also do the daycare and she is so used to being a part of that function everyday. just finished the books, "Better than School", and "Homeschooling for Excellence". My love of reading is ignited once again. I need a way to categorized and store all of this useful and helpful information and resources.

Livi completed her first journal pages today. She accounted her day and what she did which she wrote down. (Reading, Writing, Math, Dolls, Set the Table, Made Cookies).

This path we are on of becoming self reliant in more aspects of life is really fun. We are planning a garden for next spring, getting chickens, canning, sewing, and start with Piano lessons for both Livi and I.

Need to ask for a laminator, sewing machine, and a type writter for Christmas this year.

General things we do on various week days with Livi are as follows:
  • Something to do notebook
  • Rhyming words
  • Sketch pad
  • Abacus
  • handwriting
  • painting and art
  • writing letters
  • collages
  • books- lots of reading
  • board games
  • nature walks
  • cooking
  • and her magazine subscriptions
  • Road signs
  • tie shoes and zippers

No comments:

Post a Comment